Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Heroes Wear Pink!


I am not going to lie to you. I am writing this with tears in my eyes and a huge lump in my throat because I just looked again at the pictures my wife Sandi posted on Facebook that show her involvement on the 2 day / 39.3 mile Avon Walk Against Breast Cancer this last weekend. Sandi and over 2,000 people (yes, there were men walkers, also) dressed in pink joined together to become a huge witness to the need for breast cancer awareness in our nation. Did you know (because I didn't) that every 3 minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer? The money raised goes toward cancer research and medical development. I'm not sure of the money these walkers raised, but I know each of them brought in at least $1800. That adds up to at least $3,600,000! Say it with me - WOW! Here's the part that gets me - As my wife walked, she wore a necklace with about 12 hearts on it, each bearing a name of someone we know who has either died from or miraculously survived one type of cancer or another. She was walking for those people who fought a disease we have yet to find a cure for, including both of her parents whom we have lost. She also walked to say, "Let's find a cure!" Sandi shared some remarkable stories she heard during the walk such as the one from walkers who walked for a friend who had been hit by 3 different cancers, and the lady who was walking even while she was waiting for results from her chemotherapy, and the man who made it his mission to walk every walk every Avon Walk in the United States! My new heroes wear pink, and they have forever touched my hearts. Now excuse me while I go wipe my eyes and blow my nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment