Tuesday, August 25, 2009

24 Ounces of Sin


Okay, I got busted. I went through McDonald's and got myself a large Coke, the classic stuff, the HARD stuff, the stuff my doctor and every website about IDB and IDS says I shouldn't have. I know I shouldn't have it, but man, I love the stuff, and besides, it was hot that day and I'd been out in the front yard playing Abe Lincoln and splitting logs (that's a subject for another post believe me), so I stopped for a Coke. I left the empty container in my car, in plain view, thinking little to nothing about it...then my wonderful wife, Sandi, saw it. That's when I got busted. She reminded me that I'm not supposed to be drinking it and I know I'm not supposed to be drinking it. Yeah, I tried to justify it. "Honey, I was hot and I was splitting logs and I..." but she resisted. "You can justify it any way you want," she said, "but do you know what that is right there?" Pointing to the cup she said, "That's sin!" Whoa now, I thought. Sin. That's sin. It brought me up short because she was right. That cup of icy cold cola refreshment was sin to me because it was harmful to me, I knew it was, and I even tried to sneak it like some back alley drug addict. Ironically as I was in the drive-thru line to get my 24 ounces of sin, Sandi called me, and here's the bad part - I almost told the guy handed me the Coke to be quiet so she wouldn't know where I was or what I was doing. Now that's sin. The Apostle Paul has some words for me, in fact for all of us. He wrote in Colossians 3:2 and 5, "Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things...Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature..." Boy! I suddenly got real thirsty.

No comments:

Post a Comment