Thursday, August 20, 2009


At the gym the other day I saw a man wearing a t-shirt with the name and logo of a church on it. I didn't know this guy from Adam (or any other Biblical character), but for some reason the question came into my head, "Does Christ own your heart or do you just own the t-shirt?" Like I said, I have no idea who that man was or what his convictions were, so I'm thinking this is something the Spirit of God is speaking to me about, so here goes. Let me ask you - How many t-shirts do you have that advertise places or people you don't even know or have no relationship with, like those shirts that someone bought for you from someplace they've been too, or shirts with the manufacturers' names on them. No relationship, just a t-shirt. Here's what I'm wondering - do we wear our Christianity like a t-shirt without a relationship? That is, have we chosen to let the world know we are Christians by declaration only and not by a changed life that only happens when we've surrendered ourselves to the will of Christ? Without that inner decision to give yourself over to the establishing and maintaining of a relationship with Jesus, no little Jesus-covering is going to make you a true follower or heir to the kingdom. Wow! I just realized how much "Christian-ese" I've put into this post. I guess another way to say it is (to borrow a friend's adage) "Drinking Tang doesn't make you an astronaut." Neither does wearing a church logo make you a Christian. Only giving your heart to God through the grace and mercy of Christ on the cross will make that happen. I prayerfully hope that you will surrender and will "put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness" (Ephesians 4:24). Hey, that might look good on a t-shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment